Support Forum

Every time that you post a problem, PLEASE add the Joomla and the extension's versions and revisions (for example: Joomla 3.3.6, Contact Enhanced 3.3.5), PHP version and Server's Operating System. If you only manage only one site it is easier if you edit your profile and just add that information to your signature. Don't forget to add a detailed description of the problem. If possible, write down all steps to simulate the problem.

Before submitting a new post, PLEASE make sure you are running the latest version, test in different browsers (IE, FF, Chrome,..) and clear Joomla and browser's cache after every change you make.

Also, most questions are already answered in our FAQ and in iFAQ and Contact Enhanced documentation pages.

× Contact Enhanced is a contact component manager created to replace Joomla! core contacts component and add lots of advantages and new features (see Features ) and it offers many plugins and modules for several different purposes,
Product page | Documentation Page

CE v2.5.29__v3.8 Install fails, component now giving 500 error on front endQ

6 years 4 months ago #23693 by djmelville
I just tried installing CE CE v2.5.29__v3.8, The installation fails, and now the component crashes with a 500 error on the front end.
I'm on Joomla 3.8.1
HELP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #23694 by support
Dear djmelville,

That's odd. I cannot reproduce this error locally.

Is this an updated or a fresh installation?

500 errors add a new entry in the error log. Can you please check your error log and let me know the error you see?

Best regards,

6 years 4 months ago #23696 by mickelb
I have an error too trying to update to 3.8. Installing the update I get an error message in Admin about a value that cannot be null - afraid I didn't copy the message. After that I couldn't access Contact Enhanced in Admin or listings in front end - just a blank screen.

I have re-installed 3.7.1.1 until this is resolved.

6 years 4 months ago #23697 by support
Dear Mick,

I'm sorry about the inconvenience.

Can you please check your server's error log to see if there's any error related to Contact Enhanced?

Thanks in advanced,

6 years 4 months ago #23700 by mickelb
No error logged. In fact the php log says 3.8 successfully installed!. So perhaps the problem is with the 3.8 update itself, rather than the installation process?

Using Joomla 3.8.2 and PHP 5.

6 years 4 months ago #23701 by mickelb
I have just tried on a spare server with Joomla 3.8.2 and PHP 7 and CE Pro 3.8 installs correctly.

I have tried again on my live server and it fails with this error message:

Fatal error: Default value for parameters with a class type hint can only be NULL in public_html/components/com_contactenhanced/helpers/file.php on line 1972

I have reverted to version 3.7.2.

Hope this helps.

6 years 4 months ago #23702 by jazzmang
I'm seeing the exact same error when I'm trying to upgrade from 3.7.2.

Apache/2.4.27
PHP 5.6.32
MySQL 5.5.52
Joomla 3.8.2

6 years 4 months ago #23703 by djmelville
It's an update. I've had CE a long time! :-)
Current Joomla is 2.8.1, PHP 5.6, MySQL 5.6
The installation failed, and it caused all sorts of problems on my entire site. Suddenly DocMan didn't work. Their support determined it was a problem with the CD Editor Button Plugin. Suddenly also my news module started acting weird, like the CSS was messed up. Also the entire component causing a 500 error on the front end any time you choose a menu item tied to CE.
I am just about to leave on vacation, and don't have time to deal with this, so II tried to install the old CE version, but that failed also. So I ended up doing a full restore of my site from a backup.

6 years 4 months ago #23704 by jazzmang
I just re-installed version 3.7.2 and everything came back fine for me.

But it did give the dreaded white-screen of death on install and on the front end.

All with the same 500 error for PHP Fatal error: Default value for parameters with a class type hint can only be NULL in /components/com_contactenhanced/helpers/file.php on line 1972

6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #23705 by support
Greetings,

I'm removing Contact Enhanced 3.8 from the download for now, while I investigate this issue.

Thanks for the report. I'll update the ticket as soon as we have a solution.

Best regards,

6 years 4 months ago #23706 by support
Greetings,

The issue has been fixed and a new version has been released.

Best regards,
The following user(s) said Thank You: mickelb

6 years 4 months ago #23709 by mickelb
Many thanks for quick response. 3.8.1 has resolved my issue and i snow running.

Hopefully the same is true for those who had a 500 error, which fortunately I didn't.

PHP 5.6 will get security updates for a couple of years still, so a number of servers are likely to be running it for some time to come - though Joomla 4 will require PHP 7. I guess the message is that you will need to keep CE and updates compatible with PHP 5 up.