Support Forum

Every time that you post a problem, PLEASE add the Joomla and the extension's versions and revisions (for example: Joomla 3.3.6, Contact Enhanced 3.3.5), PHP version and Server's Operating System. If you only manage only one site it is easier if you edit your profile and just add that information to your signature. Don't forget to add a detailed description of the problem. If possible, write down all steps to simulate the problem.

Before submitting a new post, PLEASE make sure you are running the latest version, test in different browsers (IE, FF, Chrome,..) and clear Joomla and browser's cache after every change you make.

Also, most questions are already answered in our FAQ and in iFAQ and Contact Enhanced documentation pages.

× Contact Enhanced is a contact component manager created to replace Joomla! core contacts component and add lots of advantages and new features (see Features ) and it offers many plugins and modules for several different purposes,
Product page | Documentation Page

Maps API and the new billing for usage deal

5 years 11 months ago #24136 by jgress
Hi there!

For most of my clients using maps in their CE contacts, I'm just stopping using them and using a link to a map.

But I do have one that wants to continue using the maps in CE. Right now, they work without an API. Is that going to stop on 11 June? Do I have have have to use the API just to show a map of the place? Or only if people want to put their info in to get directions in the map on the site?

I want to set this all up on the clients google account and not mine. Thus asking if it's really necessary to have a map in the sidebar (or below/above) of the form without using the API.

I'm a little bit confused on this and I'm trying to figure it out but Google doesn't make it totally simple...and the fact that I don't know exactly how it all works doesn't help either. ;)

Best and thanks in advance,
Jenn
PS It's ok if you need to wait until next week to answer, I know it's weekend and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #24137 by support
Dear Jen,

I see your point, however with Google Maps even static maps will need an API Key and Billing set up.
I believe we can slowly create integration with other Map providers such as openstreetmap.org. How that's that sound?

Best regards,
The following user(s) said Thank You: jgress

5 years 11 months ago #24138 by jgress
Hi Douglas!

Thank you very much for your reply. Probably a good idea to look into other map integration. I think that sounds like a really good idea. Everything feels like such a big change right now. I really appreciate all the GDPR changes you've made to CE to make it easy to be compliant. Thank you!

I've decided to just use embed code in the sidebar. It works and I think it will keep working since it isn't using an API based thing.

Thanks again and have a really, really good weekend!!

Best,
Jenn

5 years 11 months ago #24139 by support
Dear Jenn,

I'll try to come up with a solution by next week.

Best regards,

5 years 11 months ago #24141 by jgress
Please don't rush on my account. Though I reckon you'll be hearing about it from other people anyways. Sending my love to you and your family! <3

5 years 10 months ago #24179 by support
Dear Jenn,

It seems A Google Maps API Key will also be required for embedded maps according to this page:
developers.google.com/maps/documentation/embed/guide

To use the Maps Embed API, you must include a free API key when making a request to the API.

We're studying other possibilities and I'll let you know what we decide.

Best regards,

5 years 10 months ago #24181 by jgress
You know? I know they need to do what they need to do and stuff but honestly it's really annoying. We're going to see thousands of maps disappear on the 11th I reckon.

Sometimes I just want to become a farmer.

Thank you, Douglas. You are amazing and I really appreciate you and your work!

Best,
Jenn

5 years 10 months ago #24186 by tapiochre
Hi Douglas

With 90+ sites under my belt, an alternative to a G$$gleMap will be very welcome so I, for one, am really supportive of your efforts and advice.

Thanks mate!

Chris

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #24187 by support
@Chris and @Jenn,

We've been studying alternatives to the current setup.

I just stumbled upon a Google document where it says:

Embed with Dynamic Maps or a map with a marker, will continue to be free with unlimited usage. Embed API requests using Directions mode, Street View mode, or Search mode will now be billed

Does a simple embed Map with a marker work for you? You will continue to have to setup and Billing account and Google Maps API Key.

Another option I'm evaluating is leafletjs.com. The "problem" with leaflet is that you will have to choose a tiles provider, which might be complicated/confusing for some users to setup.

There are some free providers , however usually they have a low limit or are for non-commercial purposes only. OpenTopoMap.org map tiles is licensed under CC-BY-SA . This means that may be used free of charge, as long as attribution always takes place and the transfer is possible under the same conditions. I could not find any usage limitation for OpenTopoMap.org, but I'm not sure yet how reliable it is.

Mapbox.com provides 50,000 map views/month for free and it also works with leafletjs.com.

The ability to choose which different tile providers is one of the reasons I liked leaflet, however there are some disadvantages. We have to use another script for Driving directions and the search is not as reliable as Google's search and the Free Driving Directions service (Open Source Routing Machine - OSRM) does not seem to be very reliable, at least on my initial tests.

I'll continue to evaluate our options and I'll keep this thread updated.

Best regards,

5 years 10 months ago #24188 by tapiochre
HI Douglas

In my case, all I ever actually need is a map. The nice addons like directions, StreetView are nothing more than nice to have. If therefore I visited GoogleMaps as a public viewer, found a map, used the 'Share' option and grabbed the iframe embed code for the map I needed and could use that for free, it would satisfy my requirements. I could slot the iFrame into a module to sit in the page where the key Contact form and details will live. If the iframe code can be placed int Contact Enhanced's >> Map Tab for the contact it would remove the need for an extra module and of course it all lives in CE.

For a shorter code, I wonder if I might grab the Link from the Google Map 'Share' option. Could that be used by Ideal to get the basic map for free?

If I am talking nonsense, please tell me!

C

5 years 10 months ago #24189 by jgress
Hi Douglas (and Chris),

I'm with Chris. All I ever need is a map too. What I've done for now is just use the embed code in the "sidebar" on the CE contact. But if that is going to stop working (which I'm not even clear if it will need my billing information or not at this point), my plan is just to take a screen cap of the map and put an image with a link to the "share" from Google Maps on the image.

To me that's easiest since most people have google maps on their phones and then they can get their driving directions from there.

Best,
Jenn

5 years 10 months ago #24200 by support
Greetings,

I suspect the embed maps using the Share option will continue to work after June 11, however the embeded maps using the Google Maps Embed API will require an API Key with billing enabled.

Have a blessed weekend.