Support Forum

Every time that you post a problem, PLEASE add the Joomla and the extension's versions and revisions (for example: Joomla 3.3.6, Contact Enhanced 3.3.5), PHP version and Server's Operating System. If you only manage only one site it is easier if you edit your profile and just add that information to your signature. Don't forget to add a detailed description of the problem. If possible, write down all steps to simulate the problem.

Before submitting a new post, PLEASE make sure you are running the latest version, test in different browsers (IE, FF, Chrome,..) and clear Joomla and browser's cache after every change you make.

Also, most questions are already answered in our FAQ and in iFAQ and Contact Enhanced documentation pages.

× Contact Enhanced is a contact component manager created to replace Joomla! core contacts component and add lots of advantages and new features (see Features ) and it offers many plugins and modules for several different purposes,
Product page | Documentation Page

Moving from an existing Joomla 3 to clean Joomla 4 website

1 year 2 months ago #26755 by mwb12345
Hi,

I have been using my older Joomla 3 website with Contact Enhanced Pro for several years, but I don't have a lot of options to update it to Joomla 4.

I would like to know the best way to get the existing data from my old Joomla 3 website into a brand new clean Joomla 4 website?

Currently, I have on the Joomla 3 site:

Contact Enhanced Pro - Version 3.10
PHP version 7.4.33
mysl = 5.7.41
Joomla Version = 3.9.28

Currently, I have on the new Joomla 4 site:

PHP version 7.4.33
mysl = 5.7.41
Joomla Version = 4.2.6

Thanks, Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 months ago #26756 by support
Dear Michael,

The ideal upgrade method is to keep your Joomla 3 updated and Contact Enhanced Updated in Joomla 3 and then migrate to Joomla 4. However, you chose to start with a clean Joomla 4 installation. It's also possible but requires more work. You'll just lose the category reference and you'll have to create the categories again. The Contact linked user's ID might change and you might need to change it. If you use the Linked user option;

1. Make sure Contact Enhanced for your Joomla 3 is up to date.
2. Copy all Contact Enhanced Database tables (starting with #__ce_) from your Joomla 3 to your Joomla 4 database.
3. Install Contact Enhanced for Joomla 4. This will perform the database table changes automatically.
4. If you use Multiple Files Form Field and keep uploaded files on your server, make sure to copy the files as well. The file directory is on your Contact Enhanced Configuration.
5. Create the Categories again and assigned them to your contacts and form fields.
6. Assigned the users again;
7. You might see the "Unable to find the user with id ###" error. This is because the user id changed and now we lost the "created by" reference in all contacts and form fields.

Even though it's possible to "move" all the data from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4, I don't recommend it. It's better to create a copy and upgrade your Joomla 3 to Joomla 4.

Best regards,

1 year 2 months ago #26759 by mwb12345
Hi Douglas,

Duplicating the website and updating makes a lot more sense. I assume once I have it updated and have a matching version on both, I can copy all the tables over to the new Joomla 4 database and it should pick up where it was on the old website?

1 year 2 months ago #26760 by support
If you duplicate your site and then upgrade from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4, all you need to do is install Contact Enhanced for Joomla 4 after the upgrade. There's no need to follow the steps I provided in my previous post.

Best regards,

1 year 2 months ago #26761 by mwb12345
Yes, I understand that part, but I will now have the old website updated and that would normally be the end of it. But this website and template are old. I am building a totally separate website based on Joomla 4 with a modern template. I will copy the pages from the old website to the new one. I will put a fresh Contact Enhanced installation on the new Website. How can I get the data from the old, but now updated website with Joomla 4 to the new website?

1 year 2 months ago #26762 by support
I don't recommend creating a new Joomla 4 website from scratch. The supported upgrade method is to upgrade Joomla directly, then update or install a new template and other extensions. This way you don't have to create categories and articles again.

Anyway, if you choose to create a Joomla 4 from scratch, the you have to follow those steps I provided earlier. It will require a lot more of work, but it's doable.

Best regards

1 year 2 months ago #26814 by mwb12345
Hi Douglas,

I decided to take your advice and update the existing website from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4 and I will change the template when I get it all set. I successfully upgraded from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4.2.7 and updated all existing extensions that I use. The only problem was with Contact Enhanced, it failed at the end of the installation and gave me the error that I have attached. The extension is showing the new version when managing extensions, but the menu items for contact enhanced became strange and if you go to the menu item, it fails. I did save the DB before I attempted updating Contact Enhanced. Any suggestions on what went wrong or how to fix this?

Thanks, Michael
Attachments:

1 year 2 months ago #26815 by support
Dear Michael,

That's strange. It seems the files are missing. Can you try to install it again?

Best regards,

1 year 2 months ago #26818 by mwb12345
Hi Douglas,

I noticed on the first attempt yesterday I received a Server Timeout. I did look at that and found that a Cron Job for Akeeba backup had been sitting there causing higher I/O and Memory issues. I removed that today and it all went back to normal.

I reloaded the Joomla files and DB, and updated to Joomla 4 with no problems again. it makes it through the CE installation (4.3.6) but has an error as shown in the attached snapshot. The CE menu options look normal at first, until click on them and then display differently (see attached). If I rerun the CE (4.3.6) installation, I get the same message as yesterday with all those missing folder paths (snapshot attached).

Thanks, Michael
Attachments:

1 year 2 months ago #26819 by mwb12345
FYI: Here is a snapshot of the Extensions for Contact Enhanced
Attachments:

1 year 2 months ago #26820 by support
I'm not sure what's causing this issue.

The missing folder paths should not display that error because we won't attempt to delete them if they don't exist.

Can you provide FTP access to your site? You can send the credentials to me using the Support > Contact Form or reply to this forum's New post notification EMAIL.

Best regards,

1 year 2 months ago #26821 by mwb12345
Hi,

I sent you the information via your Support Contact Form.