Support Forum

Every time that you post a problem, PLEASE add the Joomla and the extension's versions and revisions (for example: Joomla 3.3.6, Contact Enhanced 3.3.5), PHP version and Server's Operating System. If you only manage only one site it is easier if you edit your profile and just add that information to your signature. Don't forget to add a detailed description of the problem. If possible, write down all steps to simulate the problem.

Before submitting a new post, PLEASE make sure you are running the latest version, test in different browsers (IE, FF, Chrome,..) and clear Joomla and browser's cache after every change you make.

Also, most questions are already answered in our FAQ and in iFAQ and Contact Enhanced documentation pages.

× Contact Enhanced is a contact component manager created to replace Joomla! core contacts component and add lots of advantages and new features (see Features ) and it offers many plugins and modules for several different purposes,
Product page | Documentation Page

pre-filled fields

13 years 7 months ago #3895 by mizu
Sometimes space is valuable, so my question:
is it possible to have field labels appearing inside the fields (and disappearing on typing in)?

I did a search in the forum, but nothing came up, so beg your pardon if this question has been answered already.

Thanks,
mizu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 7 months ago #3900 by douglas
Dear Mizu,

It is possible for some fields. In order to enable this feature for all fields I would have to make some PHP changes.
You just have to enter the following code in the Attributes field (in the custom field page):
rel="YOUR LABEL" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='YOUR LABEL';" onfocus="if(this.value=='YOUR LABEL') this.value='';"

In the Custom Fields Parameters you have to set "Hide field's Label" to Yes.

Sincere regards,

13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #3901 by mizu
Douglas,
thanks for getting back quick.

I followed your instruction.
The field type in question is a text field.
I replaced YOUR LABEL' with my label (Desired Time)
Tried with/without capital letters. Unfortunately no effect.
activated 'hide field' too.

(hide fields label)

13 years 7 months ago #3902 by douglas
Dear Mizu,

I forgot to mention that this will only work with the custom fields that allow you to edit the value field and you also have to enter YOUR LABEL in the value field as well.

Remember that this goes against Human interface guidelines (HIG) and usability for web pages. There are many blind people surfing the web nowadays and screen readers will not be able to read the labels.

If you want to optimize the space why don't you use columns instead?
ideal.fok.com.br/joomla-extens...-fields/78-basic-features.html

Best regards,

13 years 7 months ago #3903 by mizu
good point with the HIG. Will let my client know about that!
Agreed + will try with columns.
Thanks.

Extremely nice component you built here. I'm still exploring all the features...

13 years 2 months ago #5094 by Mcom
First i bought the Ajax contact form. Loving it!

Now i'm trying to ge the same look as my ajax contact form on my CE form.
Only thing what i don't get fixed at the moment is that i want to show the label inside the text field.

I tried this code even changed the YOUR LABEL to this.name.
But than the translation will not function like it normally does on the label (got a multi language site (with JoomFish).

Any idea's or Tips?

13 years 2 months ago #5095 by douglas
Dear Mcom,

It is not possible with Contact Enhanced. I only created that feature in Ajax Contact because it was a customization for another user.
Human Computer Interface guidelines advise to use the <label> tag and do not use the label inside the field itself, for a number of reason, one of them is that blind users will not be able to "read" your form nor submit it.

Best regards,

13 years 2 months ago #5096 by Mcom
Thanks for your fast reply.

Oke get the point not the awners i expected.
Now i have to come up with a other idea.. :(

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #6847 by dpk
What's the harm in being able to prepopulate any text input field or box by setting the default value attribute? Name, email, and text field value attributes are always left blank, which is not good. This should be editable in the CE component backend.

To override the blank value attributes, a convoluted javascript method may be used or else (the best way) insert the default value you want into the database -- look for the appropriate "value" fields in the contact_enhanced_cf table.

12 years 10 months ago #6866 by douglas
Dear dpk,

I'm not sure what you mean. The latest versions already allow you to add text to the value field of Text input boxes.

Please keep your Contact Enhanced updated.

All the best,

12 years 10 months ago #6867 by dpk
Right, but not the text boxes for first name, last name, email, etc.

12 years 10 months ago #6882 by douglas
Dear dpk,

I've changed that for you and it will be available in the next version.

Best regards,