Support Forum

Every time that you post a problem, PLEASE add the Joomla and the extension's versions and revisions (for example: Joomla 3.3.6, Contact Enhanced 3.3.5), PHP version and Server's Operating System. If you only manage only one site it is easier if you edit your profile and just add that information to your signature. Don't forget to add a detailed description of the problem. If possible, write down all steps to simulate the problem.

Before submitting a new post, PLEASE make sure you are running the latest version, test in different browsers (IE, FF, Chrome,..) and clear Joomla and browser's cache after every change you make.

Also, most questions are already answered in our FAQ and in iFAQ and Contact Enhanced documentation pages.

× Contact Enhanced is a contact component manager created to replace Joomla! core contacts component and add lots of advantages and new features (see Features ) and it offers many plugins and modules for several different purposes,
Product page | Documentation Page

1st J4 Implementation: Issues with Recorded Messages, Attachments, and BCC

8 months 5 days ago #27013 by Elijah90
Douglas, I hate to bother you with this, but after four days of experimentation, I'm stumped. I looked through the forum and couldn't find these issues, though I could have missed them. Three issues:

1) CE Recorded Messages is storing the "copy to user" version, not the "to Contact" version of the email.

2) No attachments are coming through email or being referenced in Recorded Messages, though they are being stored on the server in the /uploadedfiles directory.

3) BCC address in the Contact settings isn't receiving an email, but the Joomla Contact is getting what seems to be that extra copy.

This a website migrating from J3 to Joomla v4.3.3 using MigrateMe 4, so the new installation is in a staging area in a subdirectory. It's using CE v4.3.17. Both J v4.3.4 and CE v4.3.18 came out after we began what has turned out to be a lengthy and difficult migration; we wanted to get everything completely stable before upgrading to new versions.

1) In the Contact settings for Template are:

Email Form Template (to Contact): DEFAULT_FORM_TEMPLATE
Email Form Copy (confirmation) Template (to user): DEFAULT_FORMCOPY_TEMPLATE

I also created a new template separately from each of these to restore, with edits for new variable names, custom templates used previously. For continued testing, I've reverted back to the app defaults even though all templates are working to send mail and the custom versions render as expected.

The correct version of the template is being emailed to the Contact, and the correct version emailed as a copy to the user.

EXCEPT... What's being archived to the CE Recorded Messages is the "copy to user" version, not the "to Contact" version.

2) I'm assuming as a result of that, no attachments are coming through via email or in Recorded Messages. All tests with attachments show the frontend form behaving exactly as expected, and the send is reported as successful. But no attachments.

In /administrator/components/com_contactenhanced/uploadedfiles the new attachments ARE being stored. But they aren't being sent or referenced via email, and there's no record of them, or link to them, in Recorded Messages.

I enabled Debug in CE Configuration > Form, but that hasn't generated any information about the problem.

3) Additionally, I have a BCC address added to the Contact in Form Settings. My tests are using three separate email addresses at three different domains: the linked Joomla Contact, the BCC address, and the sender's address.

No BCC is being generated to the BCC address, but the Contact is receiving two identical emails instead. When I remove the BCC address from the Contact settings, the duplicate email is eliminated, but in no test did the BCC target actually get an email.

Other than these three conundrums, the CE migration and initial update to v4.3.17 went exactly as expected. Thanks for a superior product, and thanks for all your continued help.

—Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 months 5 days ago #27014 by support
Hello Ed,

I appreciate your feedback and your report of these errors.

I have fixed problems 1 and 2 and I will send you a new package shortly. I will also update the download file tomorrow.

I was not able to reproduce problem 3. Please let me know if you still encounter it after the update.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Sincerely,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elijah90

8 months 4 days ago #27015 by Elijah90
Many thanks! I'll install the update soonest and give it another test drive. Frankly, I was afraid it was simply user error, but either way am very happy it's easily fixable.

BTW, I got the same no-BCC to the entered recipient and two copies to the Joomla Contact whether I set the BCC either in the individual CE Contact record, or used the "global" Options > Form to set it. We need it to be set in the individual Contact because we'll have differences, but I neglected to mention that I'd also tested it with the Options setting last time.

Thanks again, Douglas!

8 months 4 days ago #27016 by support
Ed,

All settings for the individual contact will override the settings in the Component (global) options.

I cannot reproduce this BCC error locally. I've been investigating and reading the source code in order to try to find out what's causing this, but I couldn't find it.

Can you provide Super Administrator access? If so, please create a full back and send me an email with the credentials. You can use the Support Contact form or reply to this Forum's new post EMAIL notification.

Best regards,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elijah90

8 months 4 days ago #27017 by Elijah90
Thank you again, Douglas! Email on its way. I hate for you to have to take your time with this, but if the BCC problem is real and not the fault of the user <cough>, maybe tracing the issue could prove useful.

You can see for yourself when you log in, but I never noted complete specs for the current J4 staging installation:

Contact Enhanced Pro v4.3.17
Web Server: Apache v2.4.57 on Linux
PHP Version: 8.0.29
Joomla Version: 4.3.3
Database Type: mysql
Database Version: 10.5.22-MariaDB
User Agent on My End: Google Chrome; Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64)

8 months 3 days ago #27022 by Elijah90
Douglas was generous enough to use a SuperUser account and examine the supposed BCC issue himself. He was running tests before 6:00 a.m. his time.

And here's my public admission that the fault with this supposed issue was on my end. Contact Enhanced Pro was working exactly as it should. After getting the additional data that Douglas provided, I tried to deconstruct my mistake. I can't be certain, but I believe my problem was that, even though I used different email addresses at different domains to test, they were using the same MTA at the same hosting provider...and I failed to pick apart the SMTP header data bit by bit to piece together all the relay information.

The Contact Enhanced installation in this Joomla 4 staging implementation never had a problem with handling BCCs. It was working fine...and I wasted some of Douglas's valuable time.

But if anyone ever has a question about whether IdealExtensions stand behind their products and provides support, there's your answer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: support