Support Forum

Every time that you post a problem, PLEASE add the Joomla and the extension's versions and revisions (for example: Joomla 3.3.6, Contact Enhanced 3.3.5), PHP version and Server's Operating System. If you only manage only one site it is easier if you edit your profile and just add that information to your signature. Don't forget to add a detailed description of the problem. If possible, write down all steps to simulate the problem.

Before submitting a new post, PLEASE make sure you are running the latest version, test in different browsers (IE, FF, Chrome,..) and clear Joomla and browser's cache after every change you make.

Also, most questions are already answered in our FAQ and in iFAQ and Contact Enhanced documentation pages.

× Contact Enhanced is a contact component manager created to replace Joomla! core contacts component and add lots of advantages and new features (see Features ) and it offers many plugins and modules for several different purposes,
Product page | Documentation Page

Where are the exta_fields_x?

3 months 1 week ago #27258 by rohuezo
Hello guys,

I miss the extra_fields_x database fields. I have lots of information saved there and if I upgrade to latest I loose this information... are they coming back on future releases?

Regards,
Roberto Huezo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 1 week ago #27260 by support
Dear Roberto,

The Extra Fields were introduced in Contact Enhanced for Joomla 2.5 due to the absence of this feature in the Joomla core at that time. However, with the evolution of Joomla, the Custom Fields feature has been integrated, providing a more standardized solution. In Contact Enhanced > Contacts, we've seamlessly integrated Joomla's Custom Fields functionality to handle additional attributes for contacts, simplifying the process of data input in the backend and display in the frontend.

Reintroducing Extra Fields is not in our plans as Joomla's Custom Fields effectively covers the same functionality and offers a more standardized approach.

To enable Contact Custom Fields, navigate to Components > Contact Enhanced, click on the Options button, and under the Integrations tab, set "Edit Custom Fields" to Yes. See screenshot .

To create Contact Custom Fields, go to Components > Contact Enhanced > Contact Fields. See screenshot .

The Contact fields will be visible on the Contact Edit page, organized by groups in new tabs. See screenshot .

We have not implemented a direct feature to import Extra Fields into Custom Contact Fields due to the complexity of the process. Manual edits would still be required to ensure proper titles, form field types, and other necessary adjustments.

If you have any further questions or need assistance, feel free to let me know.

PS: I'll reply to your other post momentarily.

Best regards,

3 months 1 week ago #27262 by rohuezo
Thank Douglas for the information. I will follow your steps and transfer my data to those fields. Thanx for the quick support!

Regards,
Roberto

P.s.: Thank you for the download patch concerning my other issue. Machado? Hablas español?

3 months 1 week ago #27263 by rohuezo
I have created Custom Fields which map to my older extra_fields_x. How can I show them to the user on the frontend so they can edit the content/values?
I recognize how useful this feature is and it solves many issues I had using the extra_fields_x. I just need to allow my users to edit them. Thank you in advance!

Regard,s
Roberto

3 months 1 week ago #27264 by support
Dear Roberto,

Contact Enhanced didn't have the option to edit the fields from the front-end. I've implemented it for you and I'll create a new package in an hour or two and I'll send it to your email. I'll include it in the next release as well.

Best regards,

3 months 1 week ago #27268 by rohuezo
Hello Douglas,

thank you so much for the fast and great service. I am able to see the custom fields on the frontend edit page, however the normal controls are read/write, but these custom fields are read-only. Am doing something wrong with the parameters? I appreciate your time and effort on solving these issues.

Regards,
Roberto Huezo

3 months 1 week ago #27269 by support
Dear Roberto

Did you enable the Custom Field Editing in Both (Site and Administrator)? See screenshot .

Best regards,

3 months 1 week ago #27270 by rohuezo
Hi Douglas,
yes, it is set to "Both". I can see the custom field but it is read only on the front-end, but read-write on the backend. I just tried the frontend as admin and the custom fields is read-write, but for my user and my own data is read-only. I looked at the Permissions and they are set to Registered / Edit / Not allowed (Locked). How can I change that?

Regards,
Roberto
Attachments:

3 months 1 week ago #27271 by rohuezo
HI Douglas,

I wanted to override the Contact/default.php on my template and I noticed this line (23):
$canEdit = $canDo->get('core.edit') || ($canDo->get('core.edit.own') && $this->item->created_by === Factory::getApplication()->getIdentity()->id);

then I did a var_dump() of all three sections:
var_dump($canDo->get('core.edit'));
var_dump($canDo->get('core.edit.own'));
var_dump($this->item->created_by === Factory::getApplication()->getIdentity()->id);

and I got: bool(false) bool(true) bool(false)
which means the third one is created_by admin/Super User, which is not my or other user's identities. Could it be that the && should also be a || ?

Thanks in advance for your efforts!

Regards,
Roberto

3 months 1 week ago #27272 by rohuezo
I also added this variable to the $canEdit logic:
$sameUser = $this->item->user_id == Factory::getApplication()->getIdentity()->id;

So my $canEdit logic looks like this now:
$sameUser = $this->item->user_id == Factory::getApplication()->getIdentity()->id;
$canDo = ContentHelper::getActions('com_contactenhanced', 'category', $this->item->catid);
$canEdit = $canDo->get('core.edit') || ($canDo->get('core.edit.own') && $sameUser) || $this->item->created_by === Factory::getApplication()->getIdentity()->id;

With this I get the "edit" link, but when I click on it it doesn't work :´-(

Regards,
Roberto

3 months 1 week ago #27273 by support
Dear Roberto,

It seems the issue might be related to the Permissions tab. Navigate to Components > Contact Enhanced > Options and, under the Permissions tab, ensure that the user group with contact edit rights has "Edit Custom Field Value" set to Allow. See screenshot .

Regarding your recent post about the override and permissions, the if statement appears correct. It first checks if the user has edit rights, then evaluates if the user can edit their own contact. If so, it further checks if the contact was created by them. Similar to point 1, make sure to set "Edit Own" to Allow. See screenshot .

Best regards,

3 months 1 week ago #27276 by rohuezo
HI,

ok, the permissions are like in the screenshots... In our organisation the users were not created by themselves but rather by the Super User/admin. So $canEdit will never be true. I added if $sameUser allow edit... The problem now is that for some reason the edit page wont open instead it sends me back to the list but no list is visible... is weird!

Regards,
Roberto