Support Forum

Every time that you post a problem, PLEASE add the Joomla and the extension's versions and revisions (for example: Joomla 3.3.6, Contact Enhanced 3.3.5), PHP version and Server's Operating System. If you only manage only one site it is easier if you edit your profile and just add that information to your signature. Don't forget to add a detailed description of the problem. If possible, write down all steps to simulate the problem.

Before submitting a new post, PLEASE make sure you are running the latest version, test in different browsers (IE, FF, Chrome,..) and clear Joomla and browser's cache after every change you make.

Also, most questions are already answered in our FAQ and in iFAQ and Contact Enhanced documentation pages.

Math Guard - spambots getting through

14 years 1 month ago #2297 by voyager9355
Wow. Since others are reporting the same issue, how much trouble would it be to update it so that math guard is always displayed? (or maybe make it a choice in the parms?)

On the website I take care of, it would not be a problem or an inconvenience to have it visible at all times.

thanks,
Robin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #2298 by douglas
Dear Robin and Daryl,

I've just made the requested changes to Ajax Contact and uploaded to the site.
Please download the new release, install and change the set the Show Security Question to Always;

I hope that fixes it, however if it does not fix I'll work on something else;

I'm sorry for all this trouble;

Best regards,

14 years 1 month ago #2299 by voyager9355
Thank you Douglas!

I will get it uploaded as soon as I can - at work at the moment.

Daryl, if it works for you, would you mind letting us know? It may be later this evening before I can get to it.

Thanks!

14 years 1 month ago #2300 by daryl2
douglas wrote:

Dear Daryl,

Aren't you logged in?
When the user is logged in the Math Question is not shown;

Kind regards,

Hi Douglas,

Most of my sites and the one that was hit the most do not have any users that may or may not be logged in.

I always have the Math Guard question ON. The particular type of spam is one of those strange ones that I have never been able to understand. The links and whatever they are trying to do never make any sense what so ever and are never related to any real domain that I have ever been able to track down.

I will show you what they look like here;
awbksxsgoh KeXbQIUcohxoLtudlUf <sedbwe@uzfccd.com> sent a message via www.dryerductcleaning.com

Street Address  = nmPxrwqYYUPV
City    = KenProauzWxYZVRo
Phone Number    = ccdWMgcunOl
Type of Stucture        = Townhouse

VUvo0s  cuhjdydmdixm, [url=http://ubvlwqjqcubo.com/]ubvlwqjqcubo[/url], [link=http://asdugjpuccxr.com/]asdugjpuccxr[/link], http://rtxegjujjopl.com/

---- User Info ----
       IP Address:     79.125.2.118
       Browser:        IE
       Operating System:       Windows XP
       Screen Resolution:
       Last page viewed:        http://www.dryerductcleaning.com/user/reset.html

Math Guard is ON but not even shown in this example or any of the others. This particular site was hit 4 times in a row. My installs are always kept up to date. However now I will be trying the latest one.

This is no big problem Douglas, I am sure you will come up with a solution.

Thank you very much!

14 years 1 month ago #2301 by douglas
Dear Daryl,

I have a lot to do right now, on Monday I want to release a new version of Contact Enhanced and MooFAQ, therefore I was postponing to add a new captcha library to Ajax Contact.
Everybody hates SPAM, so I'll work on this tomorrow and hopefully I'll have a solution by the end of the day; I hope that's ok with you;

Also, I tried to access your website www.dryerductcleaning.com , however it is been redirected to ultimatelivechat .com, is that correct?

Kind regards,

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #2302 by daryl2
No hurry Douglas, please take your time. This is nothing new and I am used to it. :-)

Sorry you got caught in my Country Block. I will have to fix that! :-)

14 years 1 month ago #2379 by daryl2
douglas wrote:

Dear Daryl,

I have a lot to do right now, on Monday I want to release a new version of Contact Enhanced and MooFAQ, therefore I was postponing to add a new captcha library to Ajax Contact.
Everybody hates SPAM, so I'll work on this tomorrow and hopefully I'll have a solution by the end of the day; I hope that's ok with you;

Kind regards,

Hi Douglas,

I have installed the latest Ajax Contact that you send out today (March 19-2010)
1.5.7.6__100319_1344 with captcha_1.5.12__100319_1347.

Both contact form and captcha (SecureImage) appear to work well. I will let you know if any bots get past it.

Thank you Douglas

13 years 11 months ago #2787 by beachgeek
I've suddenly started receiving a lot of spam, too. Current versions of, Joomla, Ajax Contact and the Captcha plugin installed.

Mathguard is always turned on.

You can see the form in action on my website (right-hand column).

Any additional info that I can provide that can be of assistance?

Thanks for your work and the support.

13 years 11 months ago #2788 by douglas
Dear Jonathan,

Some spam bots are smart enough to do the math and fool MathGuard.

Try to use the SecurImage2 Captcha library. It is the best option available for Ajax Contact.

Best regards,

13 years 11 months ago #2789 by beachgeek
Appreciate the quick reply, Douglas.

I was afraid you were going to say that; I was hoping to keep it as simple as possible for my visitors.

Plan B it is!

13 years 11 months ago #2790 by douglas
Dear Jonathan,

Unfortunately Spam bots are getting smarter everyday. ;-(

SecurImage2 has many new features that allows you to change how hard it is to read. You can also set the number of characters, so your users will type less! ;-)

I hope you like it!

Sincere regards,