Support Forum

Every time that you post a problem, PLEASE add the Joomla and the extension's versions and revisions (for example: Joomla 3.3.6, Contact Enhanced 3.3.5), PHP version and Server's Operating System. If you only manage only one site it is easier if you edit your profile and just add that information to your signature. Don't forget to add a detailed description of the problem. If possible, write down all steps to simulate the problem.

Before submitting a new post, PLEASE make sure you are running the latest version, test in different browsers (IE, FF, Chrome,..) and clear Joomla and browser's cache after every change you make.

Also, most questions are already answered in our FAQ and in iFAQ and Contact Enhanced documentation pages.

Math Guard - spambots getting through

14 years 1 month ago #2243 by voyager9355
Good day!

Using Ajax Contact 1.5.6.7, with math guard enabled. Jusr recently, spambots have become successful in getting past this. It's not terrible - yet, but wonder if there's an answer to how they do it, and/or what i can do to stop it?

I saw another thread that indicated the emails came from the Joomla core contact component, but the spam messages we are getting are coming through Ajax Contact.

Any ideas? What other information can I provide that would be helpful?

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #2246 by douglas
Dear Robin,

Can you please wait until Monday?
I'll work on it in order to use other Captcha libraries;

Kind regards,

14 years 1 month ago #2247 by voyager9355
I can certainly wait until Monday.
Your help is much appreciated!

Thank you!

14 years 1 month ago #2248 by douglas
Dear Robin,

I've just noticed in another site that I administer that there are some spam bots that are able to register and enable a user account.

Are you having this problem too?

I ask because Ajax Contact does not display the captcha when the user is logged in;

Best regards,

14 years 1 month ago #2250 by voyager9355
I believe that may be what happened. The other day I receieved an admin email that a new user had registered on the website - but it was a random (and foreign) email address. Subsequently, we started getting spambot emails from Ajax Contact.

I have since deleted that user, and we have not gotten any more junk messages.

Is there any way that Captcha can be made to ALWAYS appear, whether or not a user is logged in?

(then of course there's the matter of spambots figuring out how to register and enable an account - and we do use email verification...but that's not your issue :) )

Thank you!
Robin

14 years 1 month ago #2251 by douglas
Dear Robin,

I can modify so it will always show MathGuard, but why not modify the Registration component so it will perform a captcha verification before submitting the form?

If you are interested in this customization please contact me using the Support -> Contact Form;

Kind regards,

14 years 1 month ago #2287 by rdbean
Hi Douglas,

Just had the same thing happen, however these came from unregistered users. I have registration set to off.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

14 years 1 month ago #2289 by douglas
Dear Rich,

Are you running the latest version of Ajax Contact?

In version 1.5.7.2 I've changed the way MathGuard validates the answer and I believe to have fixed the issue;

If you are running a version an older version, please update, however if you have 1.5.7.2 or newer then I'll have to work on a new Captcha system;

Kind regards,

14 years 1 month ago #2291 by rdbean
Hi Douglas,

Site was running 1.72, but have now upgraded it to 1.7.4, we'll see what happens.

I got 3 more spams right after I upgraded to .4 but they could have been in a holding pattern somewhere.

Am clearing all caches and re-enabling now to see how it goes.

Thanks again,

R

14 years 1 month ago #2292 by douglas
Dear Rich,

If the problem persists I'll work on a new captcha system.

Best regards,

14 years 1 month ago #2295 by daryl2
Hi Douglas,

Spam is passing by the Math Guard on several of my sites. (Ajax Contact) There is no answer to the question but I do have it on. I am using the latest version 1.5.7.4

14 years 1 month ago #2296 by douglas
Dear Daryl,

Aren't you logged in?
When the user is logged in the Math Question is not shown;

Kind regards,