Support Forum

Every time that you post a problem, PLEASE add the Joomla and the extension's versions and revisions (for example: Joomla 3.3.6, Contact Enhanced 3.3.5), PHP version and Server's Operating System. If you only manage only one site it is easier if you edit your profile and just add that information to your signature. Don't forget to add a detailed description of the problem. If possible, write down all steps to simulate the problem.

Before submitting a new post, PLEASE make sure you are running the latest version, test in different browsers (IE, FF, Chrome,..) and clear Joomla and browser's cache after every change you make.

Also, most questions are already answered in our FAQ and in iFAQ and Contact Enhanced documentation pages.

Mollom Integration

13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #3574 by beachgeek
I have one client that was being bombarded with spam on their contact pages - even with ReCaptcha.

I finally found a solution that's helped a lot and would now like to integrate it into Ajax Contact. It's called Mollom and can be seen at http://mollom.com/

I used a Joomla plugin available from http://moovum.com/products/moovur/download
to add this to the standard contact form.

Note: Mollom requires an account and public/private keys, though they do have a free version. Moovur is also free but requires registration before it can be downloaded.

The Moovur Development Documentation has instructions for adding Mollom to forms. Here's the relevant part:

Direct implementation in the extension code
This is the preferred way to implement Mollom into your extension since it is the most easy and clean way. We tried to create an API that is as simple as possible...
Below you will find the example code to validate the content. The object values of course need to be filled with the actual values of the content you want to validate.

if(class_exists('Moovur'))
{ $obj = new stdclass();
$obj->title = 'The title data, if available';
$obj->text = 'The full text, if available';
$obj->author_name = 'The authors name, if available';
$obj->author_url = 'URL, if available';
$obj->author_email = 'email, if available';
$obj->author_id = 'Joomlas user id, if available';
$obj->author_openid = 'Openid, if available (not used)';
Moovur::checkContent($obj, 'component', 'task');
}
I assume I should be adding this to helper.php, but I'm not clear where it should go.

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it. I'd love to implement Ajax Contact and Contact Enhanced, but without Mollom integration, I'm afraid we'll be swamped with spam again.

Much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #3575 by douglas
Dear beachgeek,

I know some spambots can fool MathGuard, but it is teh first time someone complains about reCaptcha.

I'll read their API and try to integrate into my captcha plugin.

Siincere regards,

13 years 8 months ago #3576 by beachgeek
Thanks so much for looking into it, Doug.

I suspect that these are humans entering the spam. I know it's rare, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

For some reason, they're targeting this one site.

13 years 8 months ago #3577 by beachgeek
By the way, if there's anything I can do to help, please ask.

I'm not much of a php programmer, but I'd be happy to help with testing or research.

13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #3595 by douglas
Dear beachgeek,

I thought this would be much easier. I've worked almost 8 hours on this ;-(

I've tried to make Moovur work with Ajax Contact, however it was a bit complicated to make it work with the ajax part of the module, so I decided to make a mollom plugin independent from moovur.

The image part is already working, even with multiple forms on the same page (which is always something challenging), however the sound "code" is different from the image code, no matter what I do. I noticed that the same thing happens with the moovur registration form.

I sent an email to mollom support and will finish this update as soon as I get their reply.

I'll keep you posted.

Sincere regards,

13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #3601 by beachgeek
Thanks so much for spending the time on this.

It wasn't my intention to suggest a big project for you, so I'm sorry to hear it turned out to be so time-consuming.

I suspect it may be an issue with ajax in general.

The ides of writing a plugin sounds like a great workaround. I did notice that moovum does advertise "integration partners" on their website.

I've personally disabled the mollom captcha, both visual and audio and use recaptcha instead. I found the mollom capctha way too difficult to solve.

The one feature I consider really useful was the ability to pass the message through to mollom for spam checking.

You can view my implementation in action here .

This is a partial capture of the logs page, showing some of the spam the service caught, even after recaptcha was installed.

I know it won't cover the time you've spent on this, but expect a glowing review of your services on the Joomla extensions directory.

Thanks again, and please don't hesitate to ask if I can be of any assistance.
Attachments:

13 years 8 months ago #3645 by douglas
Dear Beachgeek,

Below is the reply I got from Mollom:

Keith Smith, Aug 24 02:17 pm (CEST):
Yes, according to the developer channel, by design, the audio version DOES NOT match the characters. In other words, you go to a page and get a captcha challenge. You enter your response in the form and submit, and all is well.

If, on the other hand, you play an audio version, you hear the audio for a different captcha. After playing it, you must now enter the response that matches the audio you heard; the response for the image you see with no longer work.

Personally, this seems counterintuitive to me and is not the behavior we see most often on the web, but this was implemented to solve a particular situation where one or the other (image or audio) was being gamed using the other option.

In our developer meetings, we're discussing other ways of handling this.

But for now, yes, what you see (or hear) happening is the "correct" behavior.

Right now I have couple custom jobs that I have to finish before I can work on this. Please contact me again in a couple of weeks.

Best regards,